ARTICLE I Name
The name of the congregation is Arusha Community Church, hereafter referred to as "ACC."
ARTICLE II Statement of Faith
We believe that the following are crucial to our understanding of faith
and should be manifested in mutual love, practical Christian service
and evangelistic concern.
ARTICLE III Membership top
1. ACC is independent and autonomous but is sponsored by the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Tanzania, Diocese in the Arusha Region.
2. ACC congregation is interdenominational, interracial and international and welcomes anyone who desires to worship God in the English language.
3. Anyone who believes in the Lord Jesus Christ as we confess in our Statement of Faith hereinabove may become a member of ACC. Membership in ACC does not preclude membership in a "home" congregation. Persons wishing to become members should apply to the church Council (see Article IV) for membership, and once approved, shall be added to the church register. These members make up the voting membership of ACC.
4. Members of ACC are expected to support the work of the congregation with their time, talents, prayers and financial resources.
5. Membership ceases by formal notification by the member; by removing oneself from the congregation; or by disciplinary action as exercised by the Council (see Article IV).
ARTICLE IV Congregational Structure top
1. Congregation: It is our intention to be an interdenominational fellowship of Christians who worship in the English language and who are led by Christian lay people and pastors.
2. Meetings of the Congregation: The Annual General Meeting (hereinafter referred to as the "AGM"), made up of all voting members of ACC present, shall be held each year (normally in January) when reports and plans of all activities of the church shall be presented and approved including the audited accounts. The AGM shall be announced at least two weeks in advance. Extraordinary meetings may be called by Council or a two thirds majority of the voting membership.
3. Church Council of Elders (hereinafter referred to as the "Council") shall be the governing body of ACC.
i) Composition: Council shall be made up of 8-12 ACC members elected at the AGM who shall normally serve for 2 year staggered terms (that is, half shall stand for election each year).
ii) Election: Council members shall be elected by a two thirds majority of members present at the AGM from nominations made and seconded by members of the ACC congregation. Nominations should be handed to the Chairman of the Council prior to the date of the AGM.
Officers: The Council shall elect its officers at the first council
meeting following the AGM as follows:
Duties: Subject to the limitations of this constitution, the duties
of the Council shall include:
v) Removal: Council Members may be removed from Council by a two thirds vote of ACC voting members present at the AGM or at an extraordinary meeting of the congregation.
vi) Decisions: Any action taken by Council may be rescinded by a two thirds vote of ACC voting membership.
4. Ministries of ACC: Council shall appoint leaders and members of the various ministries of the church, e.g.: Christian Education, Worship, Evangelism and Outreach, and Projects and Benevolence. Council may also make appointments relating to administrative matters and special assignments, e.g.: leading Sunday School, Bible Studies, writing the newsletter, building repairs and maintenance, public relations, and staff supervision.
ARTICLE V Services top
There shall be a Sunday worship service each week and opportunities for weekly Bible Study and Prayer. Holy Communion should be celebrated two Sundays per month.
1. Preachers: ACC shall invite pastors and lay preachers to preach for the weekly services as well as for special or holiday services.
2. Communion and Baptism: As ACC is an interdenominational fellowship, the administration of the sacraments shall be under the direction of the Church Council.
3. Dedication, Baptism and Confirmation: As ACC is an interdenominational fellowship, instruction may be arranged for those desiring confirmation or adult baptism by a minister of the denomination concerned who may also arrange a special service to celebrate the occasion.
4. Weddings: Weddings and/or Blessings of Marriages at ACC must be approved by Council.
5. Funerals: ACC welcomes the opportunity to minister to and assist the bereaved at times of death.
ARTICLE VI Finance top
1. ACC shall receive free will offerings to finance its ministries and projects.
2. Funds shall be held in bank accounts of ACC and disbursed by the treasurer of the congregation. Council shall appoint three signatories in addition to the treasurer; a minimum of two signatures are required on checks. Disbursements by ACC are to be approved by the Church Council.
3. The accounts shall be audited according to Tanzanian law at the end of each calendar year and a full report given to the AGM.
ARTICLE VII Amendments and Dissolution
1. This constitution can be amended by a two-thirds majority at any AGM.
2. In the event of dissolution of the congregation, all church funds and properties shall be disbursed to agencies in Tanzania which carry on ministries consistent with our Statement of Faith.
Copyright 2004-20016 Arusha Community Church